Whether you’re thinking about pregnancy, or simply interested in balancing your hormones, it’s important to support pathways in the body that eliminate excess estrogen. Excess estrogen can disrupt your ability to conceive, since higher levels of estrogen can lead to imbalanced levels of progesterone. A healthy ratio of estrogen/progesterone optimizes the success of embryo implantation. The liver and the gut microbiome work together to sustain hormonal homeostasis. The methylation conjugation pathway in Phase II of detoxification is responsible for detoxifying estrogen in the liver.
Symptoms associated with high estrogen:
- Irregular periods
- Mood swings
- Bloating and other digestive symptoms
- Breast pain
- Heavy cramping
Symptoms associated with low estrogen:
- Sleep disturbances
- Vaginal dryness
- Low libido
- Loss of bone density
- Worsened PMS symptoms
How to boost estrogen detox in the liver:
There are a variety of foods that optimize methylation and therefore aid in your liver's ability to clear excess estrogen and maintain an optimal hormonal balance. The following nutrients have been shown to support methylation pathways:
- Methionine: Meat, poultry, fish, eggs, brazil nuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds
- Vitamin B12: Meats and meats organs, poultry, eggs, fish
- Vitamin B6: Meats, nuts garlic, whole grains, garbanzo beans, lentils, and prunes
- Betaine: Quinoa, beets, spinach, whole grains, sweet potato, meats, poultry
- Folate: Mung beans, garbanzo beans, spinach, mustard greens, and avocado
- Magnesium: Pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, brazil nuts, almonds, cashews, dark leafy greens
- Soluble fiber: Soluble fiber traps bile-bound estrogen in the gut and moves it to the colon to be removed. Without soluble fiber, the bile-estrogen complex are reabsorbed and sent back to the liver, increasing systemic estrogen levels.
While a balanced and whole food diet is the foundation of healthy liver function, there are genetic factors that influence how well each woman is able to metabolize estrogen. If you're experiencing any of the the symptoms above on a regular basis, reach out and we can help you identify the unique factors influencing your hormone balance and help you insure a healthy conception, healthy pregnancy and healthy child.